Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Lola's Bedroom Make Over


Lola's Bedroom Make Over

My youngest daughter Lola just celebrated her 3rd birthday + it was time to make the transition from her cot to a big bed, so of course I thought "yay!! An excuse to decorate!!"  
Lola's bedroom was a bit of an afterthought, as when we built our house we only had three bedrooms upstairs, so when Lola came along we decided to convert the upstairs playroom, which I must say, never got used, into her bedroom.  It is the smallest bedroom in our house so I wanted to make it feel extra special.  I took full advantage of the steep ceiling angle, adding the most delightful Anna Spiro wallpaper, "Round + Round The Garden", to give it a playful, whimsical feeing without making it juvenile.






So before....



please meet after!!




So without a doubt the hero of the room has to be the beautiful Anna Spiro wall paper for Porters Paints, it has transformed this small dull room into a vibrant, fun space with a hint of whimsy.  

The wall paper is $220 for a 10 metres x 50cm roll + I needed just over 1 roll for this space.  After the quote to get the wall paper professionally installed came in at whopping $400 I decided to get my handyman skills on + install it myself (with some help from hubby).  It wasn't too hard actually, one slight hiccup along the way but all in all, so glad we saved ourselves that $400.

I bought all the little white frames from trusty Ikea + found some cute art online + just printed it off.  I hung them using the Command Picture Hanging Strips so they can be removed to replace the art without damaging the wall paper.  They are expensive but worth it in the long run!

This adorable timber chair was another great find, straight off the side of the road.  I nearly tide lined it as with my other chair (see DIY post here), but decided to paint everything but the legs.  I am slightly obsessed with this fuschia colour at the moment + I picked this from a sample at Bunnings + couldn't believe it when I found out it was part of the Kirrily Johnston range for Dulux!  I had bought one of her amazing handbags in this exact shade just weeks before!  The colour is called Lickety Lick + I only need 1 sample pot, $9.95 to do 2 coats over 2 coats of primer.

How amazing are the colours of this industrial cage "Bright Lights" pendant light, pink cord with peppermint cage only $147.50 from Empirical Style.

To hang the light I just bought this $10 bracket from Ikea.

This cute pom pom garland was $24 off Etsy.

This Kantha quilt was the perfect addition to the colour palette, it is $145 from Read + Bell.  

The Manyana cushions were one of my favourite finds, I just love the pom pom trim, $59.95 from Kas.


I have wanted this Oeuf Library, $900,  ever since I was pregnant with Lola, I manage to snap this one in perfect condition off eBay for $400!  I must say Lola is loving all her toys displayed on her new library.  Old, never played with toys are now her favourites!  


How adorable is this squirrel iPod speaker from Sportsgirl!

The bed is the Sunday Blanc Bed from Domayne, $399.  We managed to get it on sale for $299!

I hope you have enjoyed Lola's new room as much as she does.  I honestly wasn't sure how much my 3 year old would appreciate my most recent design aesthetic, but it truly was love at first sight.  When we opened the door, her hand went up to her mouth, she gasped + said "this is beautiful, this is so beautiful mummy",  not to mention when she turned + laid her eyes upon her new toy library she said, "this is very important mum, very important!"  Priceless! 
  

If you would like any help designing a cosy, inspiring space for your little one, or if you have any questions, just send me an email, I would love to help!
xx L.
);